Saturday, October 30, 2004

My Fish... My "Ping Pong"...

As a few of you may know... I had a fish tank set up... Richard was a darling to went to Camberwell market on sunday after church to buy me a 4 litres tank for $3. What a bargain! It came with sand thou not the ones that I wanted. So Monday after my exam, I went to Pets Wonderland on Bay St to look for Selena, Richard's ex collegue at "sinatra's", this restaurant, but she wasnt working. So we went back on Tuesday. Monster loves Selena. He gets loads of treats when we bring him for a visit. We gave Selena one of monster's picture for their photo board. And yes, the infamous one that had MOnster in the Country Road bag. ;p

I bought 3 "white clouds", 3 "Zebra Danios", 1 "fantail", and 1 "ping pong". Apparently, the 3 small ones make up 1 fish; and because they like to swim in schools, u gotta buy them in a group of three. i also bought some water plants and a red water snail~ It was a one plus one because it came with a baby snail on its back... ;p Bargain hey~

On Wednesday night, my fantail was floating upwards towards the surface and its swimming really hard to keep itself in the water. Its a bit worrying. My ping pong was less active but i didnt take much notice. Its sleeping most of the time.

I had a paper on Thursday morning and Richard was nice enough to send me to school and then pop by Pets Wonderland to find out what's wrong! Sue was working that day and she ask Richard to get a sample of the water from e tank. After my paper and having Max Brenner with Rhian, I went to look for Sue. Apparently, the water is too akaline! I also bought a pack of gravels. I was using the ones that came with the tank. They were filty! I wanted to wait for the white ones to come in from a $2 shop but after being reminded that white will turn GREEN! I took a pack of the rounded natural stone. They are beautiful!!! Ahn Ahh~~~

Change the water, change the gravel, Fantail was well, Ping Pong fell ill on Friday night and died on Saturday (today)morning. Ping Pong refused to eat on friday when it was feeding time. It kept really still and didnt like to swim about. at bout 1am, it was floating around the top of the tank, by 2am, it did not move much or breathe much. It open its mouth like once in every 30 secs???? flap its fin like once in a minute!!!???? I was freaking upset! Ping Pong was my happy fish!!!!! I would come home and look at it, and it will make me laugh... and e first day that I had it, it will come towards me whenever I go towards the tank... And I was going to buy just one more fish, another ping pong to keep it company!!! *wails*

I went to Pets Wonderland today to show Sue what happen and find out the reasons that could be behind it. Apparently, Ping Pong was stress... or at least, it died of stress. We tested the water more and realise that the minerals might not have been enough and the ammonia was a bit on the high end. So maybe its a bit of both as well. Sue was nice to tell me to bring a sample of the water on Monday and she will give me another fish on Monday. She said we will set the tank right... Sue and i have also officially name the fantail "up-down" as that was what it was doing that we went to see Sue bout it. And it recovered from that and ping pong fell ill...

On a happier note, Sue gave Monster more treats today... MOnster has officially become attached to both Sue and Selena!!! =D Sue gave Monster 3 different treats today~ Wat a lucky dog he is... and AIN'T HE SPOILT!!! ;p

Anywayz, I went home and change a bit of the tank water. The fishes are all acting little eccentric today, hopefully its nothing! *fingerscross* Oh well...

The baby lotus cactus that we cut off the mother plant and put into water to grow roots has tiny pink roots coming out. So i choose a baby one to grow on top of the site where we bury ping pong. We then put another one into a pot and gave it to our newly-wed neighbours, James and Sarah, as a wedding present. =D

I feel much better now~

Its just one paper left to do and I gotta start soon~ So ciao everyone and kisses to all~~~

ZoN (missing "Ping Pong")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen: AWWWW!! Poor ping-pong!! Is that the name of the fish or isit the breed...or both? hehehe. I wish i had a fish tank too, but then it's quite alot of work maintaining it huh? hehehe. Glad to hear that you have something that keeps you company and decorative too! Hehehe, you sound so happy and contented. =D