Monday, September 12, 2005

My dream cost at least 10K to start...

I was talking to an old friend of mine during my b'day dinner. We went to the same high school and she did a fashion design course. And we started to talk bout design school and i was telling her what I want to do. And she was such a dear and was so willingly advising me on which school is good for what... And finally concluded that I should try out Melbourne School of Fashion. They cater for part time studies and specific course of interest studies. So i came home and did a search on the web... AND... I have my eyes set on this course:

http://www.melbourneschooloffashion.com/international/cid.html

This link shows exactly what I wanted to do since I was a KID! And here's the preview~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This course is suited to those students wanting to obtain a competent professional standard in Pattern Making and Garment Construction, Fashion Design and Fashion Drawing. It enables students to gain a solid foundation on which to base their entry into the designing/manufacturing/illustration areas of the fashion industry. Students will obtain the skills necessary for the design and production of ranges and private order work and will be able to prepare a comprehensive design folio comprising fashion drawings, story boards and trade sketches as well as samples of the finished garments.

The course is industry based, teaching industrial methods used by clothing companies, fashion designers and fashion artists in Australia today. As part of the curriculum, the School arranges work experience in a fashion business for each student. Emphasis is placed on the development of individual skills by means of a varied and comprehensive teaching program. Class sizes are limited so each student can receive individual guidance on a one-to-one basis as required.

Students who wish to continue on to the more advanced areas of fashion business/production/design should consider furthering their studies by completing years two and three of the Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design, of which Certificate IV in Design constitutes the first year.

Fashion Drawing:
* Fashion illustration basics
* Rules of proportion
* Understanding perspective
* Drawing the human figure
* Beginning a drawing
* Colour theory
* Rapid sketching
* Working from photographs
* Working with different mediums and paper types
* Figure drawing from a live model
* Trade sketching/specification drawing
* Stylised fashion illustration for storyboards, magazines and advertising
* Evaluating your own work
* Preparing a folio

Fashion Design:
* Principles of design
* Particular looks, trends and directions
* Sources of inspiration
* Colour theory
* Fabric characteristics and uses
* Styling details
* Specification drawing and trade sketching
* Storyboards
* Communication skills
* Designing stories and ranges for specific markets: streetwear, evening wear, menswear, children’s wear, bridal
* Presenting the range to a buyer

Pattern Making and Garment Construction:
* Pattern making according to official Australian Standards sizes
* Construction of master patterns, prototypes, and samples of skirts, pants, shirts and jackets in calico
* Conversion to fifth scale of all full scale patterns studied, to form a permanent reference manual
* Basic construction and sewing skills covering: darts, seams, waistbands, collars, cuffs, facings, pockets, buttons, buttonholes, zips, plackets, hems, linings, pads, sleeves
* Proficiency in the use of industrial sewing machines
* Pressing techniques

Work Experience
* Work experience for a minimum period of 80 hours in the fashion industry, as arranged or approved by the School

Dates:
19 July 2005 to 9 March 2006
Classes are held Tuesday to Saturday

Equipmant Costs - $400 to $500 per year

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should really do it, although it is kind of expensive. You should do the course, reason being that you have unique taste in fabrics and style, so you should explore your creative side more and stop getting stuck in the business/corporate/management environment for once. It will be a hell of a change, but very fun, especially when you get to do something YOU want.

Never stop for anyone.

DL said...

ThAT is SUCH A MOTIVATING SPEECH! hahaha... *huggiez*

Thank you for your compliment... thou when i walk around all the unique stores around brunswick st or even sdyney road, or city, i do feel daunted and somewhat discouraged... BUT i can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. So i'm staying positive and looking forward to doing what I like. I want to do a few more fascinator to build a portfolio to show dad and if we can get it to sell for a higher than normal price, i will have more room for negotiation with dad really... thou its still *fingerscross* My point to him would really be LOANING the 10k from him instead of him supporting me throughout uni. Since its something I want to do, I'm gonna come up with my own expenses to feed myself, have a roof over my head and put me thru the course. I could even use it to get into corporate retailers like country road or david lawrence or even david jones in terms of logistics purchaser... That would be nice...

I'm so glad I got the job at Leghorne Rouge... SOOO SOOO GLAD... finally a step into retail! And the culture there is so nice... I think i will enjoy it a lot more than being at INK. =D Looking forward to 1st day of work next tuesday~ And currently motivated to do more work b4 then~

Karen dear... you finally got to do something you enjoy too~ so make the most out of it... meanwhile your friend here will keep her fingers cross and hope my dream works out for my through the support I get from Christ.